Main Town is the most presentable part of Gdańsk, where most of the city’s objects of cultural heritage are found. The most valuable of them are:
- Golden Gate.
- Main Town Hall, which is the second largest building in the Old Town. Its oldest fragments date back to 14th century.
- Royal Road consisting of ul Długa (Long Street) and Długi Targ (Long Market).
Artus’ Court situated at Long Market 44. It used to be the meeting place of merchants, a centre of social life and, later on, the exchange. Today it is a branch of the Gdańsk History Museum.
- Court of St John’s Brotherhood – a building at Targ Węglowy (Coal Market), built in 1487-1494 as a seat of confraternity of Main Town of Gdańsk’s patriciate.
- Neptune’s Fountain – created from mayor’s and city council’s initiative at the beginning of 17th century. Despite all the storms of history the city’s gone through, this monument only needed to be restored after damage it received at the end of World War II.
- Great Armory – one of the most imposing buildings of Gdańsk’s Old Town. It was created at the beginning of the 17th century as an arsenal, mostly housing ammunition stocks.
- Torture chamber – created in the second half of 14th century, as a medieval retrenchment of Main Town in Gdańsk.
- Basilica of the Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary – built in 1346-1506, it is the largest temple built of brick in the world.
Main City – Gdańsk, Pictures from: Galeria z 2009.
[Best_Wordpress_Gallery id=”2285″ gal_title=”Główne Miasto”]
- Saint Dominic's Fair in Gdansk - 27/07/2020 - 18/08/2020 - All-day event