The city is located in the heart of the Nadgoplański Landscape Park, also called the Millennium. Kruszwica is, according to the documents, the oldest Polish city, whose origins date back to the sixth century, though
the oldest traces of settlement come from the Neolithic period – around 3900-1800 BC. The first settlement around today’s Kruszwica was around 500 BC. The development of Kruszwica and settlement in this area has contributed to natural wealth and location on the “amber route” and on the route from Wielkopolska to Ruthenia. The water route leading from the Warta River, through the Gopło Lake to the Vistula River was an additional advantage of Kruszwica. Kruszwica at that time was a small settlement with an open character. Most probably, the main stronghold of the Goplan tribe was a strongly defended settlement in Mietlice, located about 20 km to the south of Kruszwica. In the 9th century, the Goplan tribe was included in the Polana state. Therefore, in the 10th and 11th century, Kruszwica became a significant urban center with a castle on the island where Polish kings and princes resided.
Roman collegiate church Peter and Paul from the first half of the 12th century
Old town with a market and historic tenement houses.
Located at the southern end of the Rzępów Peninsula, an early medieval fortified settlement.
The ruins of the castle together with the legendary “Mouse Tower”.
The “Mouse Tower” associated with the legend about Popiel is really a fragment of a castle that was created in the late Middle Ages. A few hundred years after Popiel and his wife had eaten mice without a “pass.”
The name Kruszwica is supposedly derived from the crumb – a lump of salt. In the Middle Ages, in this area salt was sourced from the surrounding seams of brine.
Photo gallery from 2009: