ul. Mickiewicza 13
Bolesławiec City Museum was founded in 1908.
The building was erected basing on existing city fortifications from 15th century.
Numerous art experts and collectors, as well as Church’s associations, shooting brotherhood and guilds’ representatives were involved in its rise.
It was opened to public in 21 May 1911.
Archaeological and ethnographical collections, products of artistic craftsmanship, a large collection of ceramics from Bolesławiec’s region, portrait of Martin Opitz – a poet born in Bolesławiec, a few other valuable paintings, historical documents and a large library were gathered in it.
In lower hall of tower, designed as a chapel, a wooden Pieta from 15th century and an altar from 1760-1780 were found. The so-called „Wielki Garniec” („The Great Gallon”) – a 1753 collection of Johann Gottlieb Joppe’s works, considered the largest such gallon on the world, as well as „Singuhr” – a type of revolving stage presenting six scenes from Christ’s Passion, made by H. Jacob in 1784-1797 – were enjoying special interest.
After a break caused by WWI the museum was reopened in 1920. Artur Schiller, cofounder of Museum of Upper Silesia in Gliwice, had been actively involved in its activities since then. After WWII, however, nothing but the building remained – nearly all collections disappeared without trace. The museum resumed its activities in 27 December 1953 with exhibitions prepared by Silesian Museum (currently known as National Museum) in Wrocław, which had been taking care of all lower silesian museums until 1975. After a few years the museum was closed due to the building’s large dampness. After its repairs, it was reopened in 17 June 1967 as Museum of Ceramic.
Ceramic traditions present in this region for numerous centuries decided its specialisation. Near Bolesławiec, at Bóbr and Kwisna’s basin, are found natural layers of refractory clay perfectly suited for pottery products. Clay turning into brown color upon firing, the so-called earthern glaze used for pottery glazing, also appear in these areas. Pottery craft had developed here numerous centuries ago. The earliest mention of a potter from Bolesławiec is found in Świdnica’s city papers from 1380. In 1511 appeared an information about guild of potters and a privilege limiting number of workshops in the town to five, forcing journeymen who wanted to set up a workshop to settle in nearby villages of Nowogrodziec and Ołdrzychowo by Kwisa river. This privilege (or rather a prohibition) had not been revoked until 1762, under pressure of Prussian government. The Museum of Ceramics, active since mid 60s, has not had its own collections at first. The “Stoneware of Bolesławiec from 17th century to today” exposition was prepared with collections of Wrocław’s museum. In time most of the borrowed exhibits were replaced by own acquisitions, originating from transfers from Lower Silesian museums in Chojnowo, Kamienna Góra, Wałbrzych, Ziębice as well as antiquarian purchases and gifts. The modern stoneware in museum’s collections are mostly from transfers from “Artistic Ceramics” Cooperative and Ceramics Plant “Bolesławiec”.
In 1991 Ceramics Museum received a building from Russian-administered Kutuzowa Museum. After repairs lasting a few years, in 17.06.1995 Department of City’s History was opened in the building.
Preparations of permanent exposition dedicated to history of Bolesławiec are undergroing while temporary expositions presenting chosen issues from the city’s past are being held.
Permanent exposition of Ceramics Department, active:
* Tuesday – Saturday 10:00-16:00
* Sunday 11:00-16:00
free entry until the end of May.
Source: website of the museum: http://www.muzeum.boleslawiec.net
- POLISH POTTERY FAIR - 08/16/2023 - 08/20/2023 - All-day event