New Town in Warsaw.
At the beginning of the 14th century, limited by walls, Warsaw began to be too small for all who wanted to settle in it. In 1408, the Duke of Mazovia Janusz I the Elder granted the location privilege to another city, the so-called Nowa Warszawa, located just north of the Old Town. The coat of arms of New Warsaw was “Miss with a unicorn”. Originally wooden, the Town Hall was located on the market of the New Town built at the turn of the fourteenth and fifteenth centuries. For many centuries Stara and Nowa Warszawa were economically and socially one organism, the administrative merger of both of them took place only in 1791 with the liquidation of the surrounding settlements, which were previously excluded from the official municipal authority. Almost razed after the Second World War, the New Town has not been rebuilt with such reverence as the rest of the Warsaw Old Town, but it is still one of the nicest tourist attractions of Warsaw. Crossing the gate behind the barbican it is difficult to get rid of the impression of this piece of the capital to Krakow’s Kazimierz.
Within the New Town, the most valuable of its monuments include:
– Church of the Visitation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
– This is the oldest Gothic church in the New Town, built in the first half of the 14th century.
– Church of the Holy Sacraments . St. Kazimierz, erected in the years 1688-1692.
– The Pauline church. St. Spirit from the turn of the 17th and 18th centuries.
– Dominican church. St. Jack from the first half of the 17th century.
– The building of the former Bridge Gate built in 1582 on the recommendation of Queen Anna Jagiellon. Currently, the Old ProchOFFnia theater houses its walls. The tenement houses from the 17th and 18th centuries. After World War II, they were reconstructed in most cases only referring to the style of architecture from the turn of the 18th and 19th centuries.
Photo gallery from 2009: